Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Devil (2010)



Devil (USA, 2010) - Color, Director(s): John Erick Dowdle
MPAA Rating: PG-13
[UK: 15]
Approx. 80 min.

Z-rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Cheese Factor: 2 out of 5 stars for making such a dumb concept interesting.

I have to admit that when I first heard about this movie, I thought it was such a dumb idea. Sure, I didn't mind watching Hellevator but that's because foreign movies are always balls-to-the-walls crazy (or at least oddly intriguing). This was an American PG-13 horror movie, with story by M. Night Shyamalan WAY after he struck gold with The Sixth Sense. American horror movies are usually a blood and guts affair, so I don't typically have high hopes for horror movies with anything less than an R-rating. Of course, there are exceptions but I find this to be true for the most part.

This movie was surprisingly interesting however. The premise of the film is simple, five complete strangers are trapped in an elevator and one of them may actually be the Devil in disguise. They're slowly being killed off, one by one, as firefighters try desperately to get to them before they all die. Are one of the five strangers a killer or is there something more sinister at work? I couldn't help noticing how much the young woman trapped in the elevator resembled Jodie Foster. On that same note, one of the guys kinda reminded me of Tom Hardy before he bulked up for his role as an MMA fighter in Warrior and then as Bane in the The Dark Knight Rises. That's who I assumed these people were when I saw the trailer and it wasn't until I was actually watching the movie that I realized it wasn't them. Interesting how they cast actors/actresses that looked like bigger stars. I wonder if they did that on purpose to give the illusion of greater star power in order to attract more viewers.


This movie actually works as a pretty suspenseful whodunnit mystery. The elevator they're in is stalled between floors and each time the lights go out, someone dies. Each one of them has a checkered past so they're not sure who they can trust. As tension builds in the small confined space, they practically turn on each other until the Devil finally reveals himself at the very end. I'm not sure if I'm impressed because I had such low expectations of it from the start or if it was a genuinely interesting story. With that said, there aren't too many really scary scenes in this movie. More like a suspense/thriller with horror elements to it. I just wanted to review it because some people might've been interested in renting it.

Nudity: None.


Gore: Not much. There are flashes of everyone dead in the elevator, one guy gets a huge piece of glass shoved into his throat, and a woman gets bitten on her back. Not a lot of violence though, much of it is implied.


Awesome: Not bad. Was definitely and interesting movie that kept me interested the entire time. I still thought that concept was a little lame (being trapped in an elevator) but I guess if they can make a movie about a guy trapped in a phone booth, they really can make a movie about anything. With that being said, this is definitely more interesting and suspenseful than it was just flat out scary. I would recommend seeing it before Halloween (just to get you in the right mood) and renting something a little more... intense for the holiday, if you really want to be scared.