Sunday, July 22, 2012

Drive Angry 3D (2011)



Drive Angry 3D (USA, 2011) - Color, Director(s): Patrick Lussier
MPAA Rating: R
[UK: 18]
Approx. 104 min.

Z-rating: 5 out of 5 stars for being balls out entertaining

Cheese Factor: 5 out of 5 stars for being fun and not taking itself seriously

How the HELL did this movie slip under my radar?! Maybe it wasn't completely invisible to me, I had heard that the movie was playing in 3D on the big screen and I knew that the DVD dropped. I just had no idea what the story was and, for some reason, just assumed it was something along the lines of a Fast and Furious knockoff. (I never saw the trailer for this movie either) I had NO clue that this movie was going to be so damn entertaining!!!

Nick Cage escapes from Hell in order to save his grandchild from a cult of devil worshippers. Along the way he picks up Amber Heard, who is ridiculously beautiful, and plays a tough girl in this movie. I absolutely LOVE her role in this film and the toughness of her character just makes her all the more attractive, in my opinion. The movie opens with Cage running down 3 of the cult members and blowing them away with a shotgun. Before the title even pops up, we're treated to limbs being blown off and cheesy dialogue that you'd find in a movie like Machete. (Another one of my favorites I might add!) This movie was mindless fun all the way through. In addition to chasing down the devil worshipping cult, he's being hunted by the authorities as well as The Accountant. (Played by William Fichtner who turns in a fabulous performance as the devil's right hand man)

The cult wants to sacrifice his grandchild in order to bring Hell on Earth and Cage comes back from the grave to stop them. This movie feels like it belongs in a Grindhouse Double Feature but doesn't utilize that fake grainy filter that simulates wear on the film. I think that has been played out since Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez did it in Grindhouse. If your expectations aren't too high and you enjoyed the movies I've mentioned thus far, then chances are you'll love this one like I did. Nothing but over-the-top gunfights, excessive violence, and your occasional sex scene thrown in for good measure. (There's even a gunfight that happens DURING a sex scene, could you possibly ask for more??)

Gunfights during sex... talk about liking it ROUGH

Nudity: There were a couple scenes had a good amount of nudity in it. The first when Amber Heard's character comes home to find her boyfriend cheating on her and she loses it, throwing the skank out naked and then knocking her out in public. Man, this girl is hot...

POW! Right in the kisser...

Gore: Excessive and over-the-top!!! Just the way I like it. The movie opens with Nick Cage running down a car and blowing 3 cult members away with a shotgun. One guy gets his hand blown off in slow motion while another gets it in the face. All while deliver some great cheesy lines and this all happens before the title comes up! While it may not be as visceral as some horror movies, the violence in this movie was tons of fun to watch.

I love when limbs go flying!!!

Awesome: to the MAX!!!! I have to recommend this to anyone who's looking for some good mindless entertainment as it combines the revenge movie with horror elements such as Satanism and black magic, even throwing in some nice muscle cars for good measure. Once again, I cannot stress enough how much I loved Amber Heard's character. She's sweet, lovable, but tough at the same time. She's not easily taken advantage of and she is NOT the type of girl you want to mess with. Truly mindless entertainment as cars will explode for no reason and every gunshot sends a person or limb flying. More often in slow motion than not. I say rent this movie, pick up a case of beer, invite some friends over and have your own double feature at home. My only regret is not seeing this one in 3D on the big screen. If only I'd paid closer attention to the trailer!!!!