Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Don't Give a Damn (1995)


Don't Give a Damn (Hong Kong, 1995) - Color, Director(s): Sammo Hung
MPAA Rating: NR
[HK: CAT II]
Approx. 90 min.

Z-rating: 5 out of 5 stars

B-factor: 2 out of 5 stars

This movie is absolutely HILARIOUS. Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and the rest of The Seven Little Fortunes clan were the best that the China Drama Academy had to offer and are known for their martial arts prowress. What I liked about this movie was that even though there was some fighting in it, martial arts actors Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao didn't rely on their martial arts abilities for this film. I think this film is a perfect example that Hung and Biao aren't one-dimensional actors that don't know how to make a movie without fighting in it. Even though there was a fight scene that involved Yuen Biao taking on a bunch of guys, it was more just brawling than it was straight up martial arts fighting as most of the martial arts is at the very end. This movie is filled with a ton of laughs that had me and my buddies in stitches. Perfect movie to put on for your Chinese stoner buddies, you'll have bongwater coming out of their nose!

Known by the strangely irrelevant alternate title Burger Cop here in the States, this film centers around the daily operation and relationships of the officers in a particular police department. This movie starts out with a failed drug bust and some office comedy as a couple of perps are shown during the booking process. There's people making a dynamic entries by busting through windows, an inter-office rivalry with a Customs Agent that culminates in a most hilarious brawl between Hung and Biao, and a slippery crook by the name of Spiderman (played by Chin Siu-Ho, the slightly more competent apprentice in Mr. Vampire) who jumps out of a window only to have a cop by the name of Superman jump out after him. Quirky Chinese comedy bits aside, there is a very well-choreographed 3-way fight at the end of this film that involves Sammo Hung, Collin Chou (the villain from The Forbidden Kingdom), and Robert Samuels that was absolutely dizzying and totally awesome. I don't understand the bad reviews behind this film, perhaps other people's expectations were too high. (That... or mine are just way too low) Although I personally really enjoyed this film. Whenever I put it on for other people, they always laugh and have a good time watching it too. I haven't had a bad experience with this film yet but all the reviews I've come across have called this film weak and rated very low. So the only suggestion I have is if you're none too keen on subtitles, or if you've NEVER seen an HK comedy before, check some others out in this genre to be sure it's for you.

Nudity: None

Gore: None.

Awesome: Very. Although there are some very obvious critics of this film, I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this movie. My mom recommended I watch this movie because I had nothing to do one day and it has been a favorite of mine ever since. Maybe the humor falls a little flat for some people. I just  love the blend of comedy, action, and satire in this film.

1 comment: