Saturday, January 8, 2011

Top 5 Celebrity Deaths in 2010

2010 was a year, for me, that was shrouded by significant deaths in the family. Seeing as death was all around me, I thought I'd come up with another list (this time a Top 5) of notable celebrity deaths in the horror genre. I wanted to write a review but couldn't decide on which movie to review so I'll just put this up for now. Reviews will be coming soon, I promise. In the meantime, check out this short list:

5. Lisa Blount (1957-2010)


Known in horror circles for her roles in Dead & Buried, a zombie film that was actually banned in the Video Nasties act of 1984, and John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. She also starred in the uber-violent Italian exploitation film Cut and Run, directed by Ruggero Deodato, the final chapter in Deodato's cannibal trilogy.

4. Corey Haim (1971-2010)


Corey Haim who, along with fellow childhood star Corey Feldman became known as "The Two Coreys", made a name for himself in the movie The Lost Boys. (A fang-tastic vampire film I named in my anti-Twilight post) Preceding this performance with a role in the werewolf film, based on a novel by renowned horror author Stephen King, Silver Bullet. (which I'm sure was also a better movie than Twilight)

3. Leslie Nielsen (1926-2010)




Funny man Leslie Nielson is best known for his roles in comedies such as Airplane!, Wrongfully Accused, and The Naked Gun series. His significance to the horror community comes in the form of horror anthology Creepshow. Written by horror author Stephen King himself, and directed by none other than George A. Romero, this awesome film features five different segments of horror shorts. (with special effects by special effects master, Tom Savini) In addition to this serious horror role, he starred in a comedic retelling of the classic tale of Dracula in the film Dracula: Dead and Loving It as well as the horror parodies Scary Movie 3 and 4. (long after they stopped being funny because the Wayans brothers left the series)


2. Dennis Hopper (1936-2010)


Rebel actor Dennis Hopper played many roles throughout his career, from gangsters to cheesy video game characters and even the leader of a terrorist group in the hit show 24, but none more memorable (at least to me, in relation to the horror genre) than the police Lieutenant in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Following a lead on the killer family in this sequel to the original TCM, Hopper ultimately comes to save the day by dueling chainsaws with ol' Leatherface!!! (You can't make this stuff up!) Hopper also starred in the more recent zombie movie flub, Land of the Dead, but I really don't much care for that film myself. (I would like to mention that Hopper was super bad ass in the more recent 2008 biker film, Hell Ride)

1. Zelda Rubinstein (1933-2010)


A face that I'm sure many already recognize, Zelda Rubinstein is best known for her role as the psychic medium in the supernatural horror Poltergeist. One of the best, if not THE best, creepy ladies in all of horrorland... Zelda had the creepiest voice for explaining the "rules" to the supernatural I've ever heard. She played a similar character in (many films I'm sure) the 2006 pseudo-documentary/slasher Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. She will be a great loss to the horror community, without a doubt.

Z-portal would like to recognize these celebrities for their contributions to the horror genre and pay homage to their work. These great actors/actresses will be missed by the horror community and, I'm sure, by the world as a whole. I, for one, will be re-watching the films that I've listed in this list... would anyone care to join me?