Monday, October 18, 2010

Night of the Demons (1988)


Night of the Demons (USA, 1988) - Color, Director(s): Kevin Tenney
MPAA Rating: NR
Approx. 90 min.

Z-rating: 7.5 out of 10 stars for gore, nudity, and the kind of 80's cheese I love

With the remake coming out on DVD tomorrow, October 19th, I thought it would be a good time to review the original Night of the Demons. I have to admit that this movie took a second viewing before I fully appreciated the cheese of this film. So just know what you're getting into before you throw this one on.When the movie starts though, the credits open up to some cool 80's animation and music that reminds me of Beetlejuice and haunted houses. I absolutely LOVE the feel of this movie.

A group of kids looking for some thrills on Halloween night attend a party thrown by some thick goth chick (and her slutty friend) at the old Hull House, a local abandoned mortuary with a dark past. There they hold a seance and unwittingly conjure up some demons. One of the kids has enough sense about him to try to GTFO before anything bad happens but by then, it's already too late. With all the kids trapped within the walls of this possessed house, they're all picked off one after another. Will they be able to make it until dawn or will this night in Hull House be their last?

What makes this movie great is the graphic violence and disturbing special effects. Not to mention the fact that this movie is just DRIPPING with the 80's cheese that I love oh so dearly. I have to admit that when I first saw this movie, I thought it was so cheesy and lame. At the time though, I was just getting into horror movies and judge it based on the fact that it didn't scare me. After I learned to appreciate cheesy (and sleazy!) cinema, I revisited this film again and now I have to say that this is one of my favorites.

"Look! i are a clown, mommy!!"
Nudity: Full Frontal. We boobies and a little bush as a crazed slutty blonde bimbo bares it all for the camera after becoming possessed and shoving an entire lipstick into her left nipple. Crazy.


Gore: Fantastic!! One guy gets his eyes gouged out in graphic detail. Made back in the heyday of gore-filled splatter films, this movie is GREAT. Some of the gore even had to be trimmed out in order to receive an R rating for its theatrical release.

Awesome: A great movie!! Totally a cult classic B-horror. This is HIGHLY recommended at your next Halloween party. I read somewhere that this movie was recommended to be double featured alongside House on Haunted Hill (1999). Since I was planning on recommending that movie as well, I just wanted to make note of the fact that both of these were recommended to be played back-to-back. (Due to similarities in their stories apparently)



[Also, check out my review of the 2010 remake of this film]