Monday, October 11, 2010

Maniac! (1980)


Maniac (USA, 1980) - Color, Director(s): William Lustig
MPAA Rating: NR
Approx. 87 min.

Z-rating: 8 out of 10 stars

This slasher (although it's debated whether this is more of a splatter film than just a slasher) revolves around a stocky psychopath by the name of Frank Zito. (Played by Joe Spinell) Zito is a schizophrenic serial killer that spends his nights stalking women, scalping them, and nailing their scalps to a bunch of mannequins that he's got littered about his apartment. You see... Frank lost his mother and, seeing as he was quite attached to her despite the fact that she was a nasty whore, he's having just a little trouble coping. Losing his grip on his sanity, he's pushed over the edge and turned into... a MANIAC!

Legendary special effects and makeup artist, Tom Savini, provides the blood and gore for this paranoid little peek into the life and mind of a deranged madman. What I really enjoyed about the movie (in addition to the amazing gore sequences, of course!) are the scenes where Frank is just sitting around his apartment, combing the "hair" on the heads of his mannequins while talking to himself. (You hear his one-sided conversations with his dead mother via voice overs during these scenes) One thing I find absolutely hilarious is the scene where he strangles the "modeling" hooker he picks up... he totally reminds me of a sweaty (and insane) Ron Jeremy.

Argh, I'm gonna get ya bitch!!!!

Nudity: None that I can remember.

Gore: Fantastic!!! The best gore sequence in the whole movie involves a double barrel shotgun blast to the face!! BAM!!!! *headsplosion* I don't think it'd be fair to give this one a lower score than 5. I gave Hatchet a 5 out of 5 in the gore department but this gore is very different from that gore. This one also scores very high but the effects are obviously dated. With that being said, I think this is one classic that I wouldn't mind recommending because not too many people know about this movie.

Awesome: Very. This was one of my favorite slashers to show my friends when I first got Netflix. Something about the paranoid feeling of the whole movie and the creepy atmosphere that really makes this movie a must see.

1 comment:

  1. Lol I like the Mario picture. Definitely scary!

    ReplyDelete