Saturday, October 9, 2010

Creep (2004)


Creep (UK, 2004) - Color, Director(s): Christopher Smith
MPAA Rating: R
Approx. 85 min.

Z-rating: 6.5 out of 10 stars

A woman on her way home from a party falls asleep on the train, is locked in the subway, and almost gets raped. What comes to her aid turns out to be far worse than the guy that was threatening to rape her. This movie reminded me sorta like a watered down version of The Descent with only one girl, one creature, and it takes place in a subway instead of a cave. I wanted to review this movie because I thought it was going to have a bunch of creatures in the subway. (Sorta like The Midnight Meat Train) So maybe I'm just giving this a lower score only because I had higher expectations of it. Either way, it was fun watching a pretty girl make friends with bums in the subway and then get chased around by some ugly thing that's trying to kill her.

This movie is part creature feature, part slasher. I was originally going to post this for Creature Features week but then this felt more like a deformed madman slasher to me. Definitely has its moments of uneasiness either due to claustrophobia or the fact that she's being chased through dark tunnels by some unseen "monster". Being a British film, it was cool for me to hear them speak with their slang and try to figure out what some phrases meant. Some people are bothered by the difference in English, so I decided to recommend this after I've given them other options to consider first. (Although I did recommend Dog Soldiers on the second day.... but that movie has enough action so people won't mind the difference as much.)

Nudity: None

Gore: Decent. Wasn't a splatter flick, but it had plenty of gore. The fact that a lot of this film takes place in a dark tunnel makes the gore a little less important than the atmosphere and mood.

Awesome: Not very. Unlike The Descent, there aren't any kick ass moments where the final girl steps up to take matters into her own hands. She's more of a scared little girl that finds people to help her through the subway, rather than someone that finds her own way. I've heard this compared to Jeepers Creepers, in that this movie succeeds where Jeepers Creepers failed. While I'll agree that I like route they took with this Creep better than the supernatural one they took with The Creeper from Jeepers Creepers, but this movie was just slightly disappointing for me. I also have to agree that the first half of Jeepers Creepers was GREAT up until they revealed The Creeper... but at least the first half of that movie kept me more entertained than this entire film. Maybe I'll have to revisit it at a later time with a different frame of mind. Not a bad movie by any means, there are just better ones out there.

1 comment: