Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bushinsaba (2004)


Bunshinsaba (South Korea, 2004) - Color, Director(s): Byeong-ki Ahn
MPAA Rating: R
[South Korea: 15]
Approx. 92 min.

Z-rating: 8 out of 10 stars

I know I'm cheating because I recommended this movie back in August for one of my Scary Sundays but this movie was too good to pass up for Halloween. (Plus I felt like it deserved a longer review)

A new girl and her friends are being bullied at school so they invoke a curse upon their tormentors using a ouija board. (Harsh!) They successfully conjure up the spirit of a "long haired" girl. The next day, a bully is found dead at school with a burnt face. One creepy event leads to another as a curse has fallen upon the town and everyone is terrified for their lives. However, this town harbors a secret and a dark past with the girl...

One of the better "long haired girl" entries, this South Korean horror just had a more enjoyable feel than either The Ring or The Grudge. Maybe it was the storytelling but whatever the difference is, Bunshinsaba is one of my favorite "long hair girl" movies to put on for anyone who hasn't seen it. That's not to say that this is the BEST one out there, in fact, I would even call this a mid-tier movie. There aren't any special surprises or plot twists, this sticks to the formula pretty closely. I just have to say that I really enjoyed this one and would recommend it anyone that hasn't seen it. (As I've done so TWICE already)

Nudity: None

Gore: Not even close to American gore. There might be some blood in this, but it's not as visceral as American shock entertainment.

Awesome: VERY. One of the girls in this movie has the biggest, most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. Throw this one into the playlist and have it just come up randomly in the night at your Halloween party. Nice creepy movie that will probably quiet the room down a little bit, especially if the lights are out.