Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Twisted Toons and Awesome Animation


     Growing up on shows like Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, and Beavis and Butthead, I've always had a love for animation that was gross, disturbing, and a little erotic. (I got my first taste of erotic cartoons from Aeon Flux courtesy of MTV's Liquid Televsion.)


Being a kid, I was never taken out to events such as Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation... although I had always heard about them. I do remember having a best friend in elementary school that was really into Ren and Stimpy. Nickelodeon went through their disgusting cartoons phase during the '90s, beginning with the popularity of Ren and Stimpy and leading into other gross classics such as the aforementioned Rocko's Modern Life and Aaahh! Real Monsters. (Toilet humor was on the rise!!)


Being a kid, my favorite channel was Nickelodeon. But I also have early memories of watching some fucked up animation on MTV such as The Head, Aeon Flux, and of course.... Beavis and Butthead!!! (I also vaguely remember a show called The Brothers Grunt that was in the same vein as Beavis and Butthead but did very poorly in the ratings. The animation was pretty twisted though!)


While you'll find glimpses of super awesome animation from someone here in the States, the best of the best animation in the world comes from... JAPAN!!! (Yes, it's a personal opinion... feel free to debate if you feel differently!) But this article isn't being written to argue which country the best animation comes from, I've compiled a list of some of my favorite animated shorts, videos, TV shows, and movies to show that you can spice anything up with a bit of violence and nudity. (Even cartoons!!) Don't expect to find a bunch of Disney films on this list though, I'm trying to prove that cartoons aren't just for kids!!

Movies:



Heavy Metal (1981) - A Canadian animated Sci-Fi/Fantasy anthology based on the popular American magazine of the same name. (Which was also originally based on a French magazine!) Compiled from several short stories, this film follows a strange glowing green orb as it goes around telling tales of Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Touching on a variety of genres, these tales included warrior women, zombies, and even magical creatures. AWESOME to the max. (This film spawned a sequel, Heavy Metal 2000, which despite its nudity and violence... was a garbage film that didn't need to be made. Avoid the sequel despite its appealing cover art!)


Ninja Scroll (1993) - Holy crap, the level of violence, gore, and nudity in this film was surprising. Perhaps I was just clueless to what I was in for, but it's rare to find such an awesome movie about ninjas that also contains a ton of nudity and gore. What stands out from my memory at this moment is a giant Stone Golem sucking some chick's ENTIRE tit into his mouth. Any movie that needs to be censored for violence and rape when being released in another country is alright by me.


Legend of the Overfiend (1989) - This Japanese OVA gained a ton of fame for being the first entry into the tentacle rape genre. This hentai/horror spins a tale about the unification of the human and demon realms which occurs once every 3,000 years. During this time, the "Chojin" or Overfiend (god of the gods) will rise. What ensues is a bunch of nudity, violence, gore, and graphic sexual depictions. The level of animation in this film blows away any animation I've seen coming out here in the States during this time. This film, along with others like Ninja Scroll and Akira, were some of the biggest players in the anime craze here in the States.

Beavis & Butthead Do America (1996) - This desert hallucination scene from the movie alone is worth the mention!!!



Internet/shorts:



Happy Tree Friends - A Flash based web series by Mondo Mini Shows, featuring a bunch of cute little animal cartoon characters animated in a very child-like style. They talk cute and do cute things... until something goes wrong and they are violently injured, maimed, or killed. 

Joe Cartoon - With more Flash based animation, Joecartoon.com was a website that I stumbled onto during mid-to-late '99. Known for its crude humor and violent interactive flash animations, JoeCartoon featured animated shorts like Frog-in-a-Blender and Gerbil-in-a-Microwave. In 2006, a DVD collection of about 40 cartoons was released in North America but the website was shut down in 2010. Most but not all of the cartoons were moved to YouTube. (see link above)


Newgrounds - was the granddaddy site for me. A friend of mine from middle school hit me up to this site and I've been a major fan ever since!!! (Back then, it was all about Pico, FDA, Nene's Suicide, and other random little flash games. Also, hating on teletubbies!) NG is where I first found out about Happy Tree Friends and is probably how I got linked to Joecartoon. Lots of great stuff on this site, it was a treasure trove for a child exploring the internet for the first time. Thanks again Gary!!!

Television:

Heavy Metal + Cartoons FTW

Metalocalypse (2006-present) - An American animated TV series on Adult Swim, about a death metal band that is so insanely popular, people are willing to sign waivers in order to attend concerts. (The accidental maiming or killing of fans during shows is common practice) Products endorsed by this band immediately begin to outsell their competitors, usually to the point of bankruptcy. The dark and macabre themes, violent deaths, and hilarious antics in this show is totally what makes it AWESOME. Why do Metal and animation work so well together?

Korgoth of Barbaria (2009) - The pilot for this show is the greatest thing I'd ever seen in my life. The plot parodies Conan the Barbarian and the whole sword-and-sorcery genre. I've seen it over a dozen times and have shared it with many people who come over to my house. This type of animation and humor is right up my alley.

6 comments:

  1. haha. I remember the head thing. That shit was crazy. And the Beavis and Butthead hallucination thing was like my favorite part in that movie. haha. Hella awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUCK YEAH!!! I fuckin LOVED the hallucination scene from the Beavis and Butthead movie. That was the style of animation I had in mind when I was writing this post. When I tried to come up with titles though, I couldn't think of any other shows or movies. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to throw other suggestions up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. - i like how you throw in a lot of random interesting info.
    - the happy tree friends looks interesting. =]
    - i like newgrounds too
    - great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah

    Thanks!!!

    I really appreciate you dropping by and showing your support. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw man i loved aeon flux.I wish they would re-run some of these cartoons late night on mtv and nick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya on that!!!! They had all the best animation back then. What do they have nowadays? Pixar and garbage on Nick. At least I heard that MTV was planning on bringing back Beavis and Butthead, let's just hope they don't mess that up too!!

    ReplyDelete