Saturday, September 11, 2010

Night of the Demons Remake


Night of the Demons was a cult horror movie from the late 80's. Extremely controversial at the time of its release, this nasty little film includes elements of graphic terror and violence. Subsequently, this film developed such a cult following and spawned two sequels. I rented the first two installments of this franchise from Netflix and I have to admit that I really didn't much care for the original on my first viewing. The sequel, Night of the Demons 2, is what really caught my attention as it was more graphic and violent than the original. (In one scene, the slutty girl in the school lets one of the boys feel her up.... but suddenly, clawed-hands come out of her boobs and grabs the guy's hands. Pretty fucked up!)

              (Restricted trailer courtesy of the guys at ShockTillYouDrop)

The remake looks like it keeps all the twisted gore and violence of the original, while updating the kids and the party scene for a younger generation. The original took a repeated viewing before it grew on me. After enjoying the sequel, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine regarding this franchise and was reminded of the sickening imagery in these films. Being a disgusting and disturbing cinema buff, I had to give the original another viewing for a chance to redeem itself. I'm not exactly sure what qualms I had about the film before, but I thoroughly enjoyed the film on a repeat viewing. The remake looks like it doesn't stray too far off the path of the original, while staying true to the disturbing content that really made the original. I'm looking forward to this film for Halloween more than Saw 3D. (Despite my LOVE of 3D movies)

1 comment: