Wednesday, August 11, 2010

WTF?! Wednesday


Gozu (Japan, 2003) - Color, Director: Takashi Miike
MPAA Rating: R
Approx. 129 min.

Z-rating: 8 out of 10 stars

Wow, what is there to say about this movie? Definitely a little slow to start. The movie starts with a Yakuza meeting at some restaurant. One of the guys gets up and, for no reason at all, goes outside to grab a little chihuahua... and proceeds to smash it on the floor, swing it around by its leash, and throw it against the window of the restaurant. (That's definitely one way to grab the audience's attention!) As bizarre as that may sound, believe me when I tell you that this is probably the most logical and normal part of this movie...

What ensues is, without a doubt, one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen in my life. If you considered my recommendation and saw Visitor Q, you would already have a feel for what kind of movie this is going to be. Some guy goes looking for his brother in this strange town... all I remember from this movie are random scenes of people with cow heads licking other people's faces, Yakuza bosses with shrines of object to shove up their ass, and more lactating ladies in case you didn't get enough in Visitor Q. (This one actually bottles it for people to drink!!) This is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, without a doubt.

Why do I recommend this movie? I love Takashi Miike. I love his work. There are some movies that I get and some that I don't. (Ok, who am I kidding... I don't really "get" any of them. I guess I really just mean there are some that I like and some that I don't) This is is great if you have the patience to sit through it. Undoubtedly though, it will have you sitting there repeating, "WTF?!" after the movie's over.