Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Top 10 Favorite Horror Movies

     How the fuck did this even happen? We’re in July and it’s already been over a week since I’ve posted. Boy, this stuff is hard to keep up with. But not to worry, I will try to be more diligent with my updates. And so, without further ado, I present my list of Top 10 Favorite Horror Movies:



10. Art of the Devil II (2005) – Creepy, violent Thai horror movie. A teacher is embarrassed and forced to give up her job when her students blackmail her. Using Thai black magic, she exacts her revenge against the students. A blend of cringe-worthy scenes of graphic torture and creepy supernatural elements to boot, this Thai horror really stood out to me. When I first heard about this movie, they claimed it was a stand-alone movie. (“because sequels make so much more lot of money!!” – see Arnold Schwarzenegger interview on E!) I did find a movie called Art of the Devil, that came out before this movie, though I’m not sure if they’re related.


9. Ebola Syndrome (1996) – Starring HK movie great Anthony Wong, known for his roles in The Heroic Trio and as Tai Fei in the Young and Dangerous series. This CAT III exploitation/horror film gets real nasty from the start with a castration followed by a double murder of two parents in front of their child. Pretty messed up way to start a movie, but not if you see what else happens. He runs away and finds a job working in a restaurant, where he is asked to accompany the boss to South Africa(?) to buy some discount meat… from a tribe. While waiting for the meat, he sees a tribal woman fall over from what appears to be having a seizure. Getting tired of waiting around, he decides to get his dick wet… and rapes her… contracting the deadly Ebola virus!! (You just can’t find movies like this anymore) Playing into his crazy Bunman character from The Untold Story, Anthony Wong eventually starts chopping people up into human hamburgers and serving them in the restaurant, spreading Ebola to the public. They just don’t make crazy awesome filth like this anymore.


 8. Grindhouse: Planet Terror (2007) – Anyone who didn’t see this in theaters, totally missed out!!! (Although I hear it bombed in theaters, so many that’s probably the majority of the people) Robert Rodriguez’s Planet Terror was coupled with Quentin Tarantino’s Death Proof to make a double feature, interlaced with fake movie trailers by directors Rob Zombie (Halloween, Devil’s Rejects), Eli Roth (Hostel, Cabin Fever), and Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz). My experience at the theater was, up until that time, the BEST I’d ever had in theaters. Although I loved both movies, if I had to pick just one for the Top 10… I’d have to go with Planet Terror because it was hands-down one of the coolest fuckin zombie movies, ever.


7. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) – A classic that just had a recent remake, which I refused to pay money to see in theaters because it looked like a CGI-laden piece of crap, begins the legend of a character that would haunt children’s nightmares for the next couple decades. Brilliantly directed by Wes Craven (Scream, The Hills Have Eyes) to blend the scary stuff in so well that you can’t tell when a character has fallen asleep or when they started dreaming. This film also marks the film debut of teenage heartthrob Johnny Depp. (in his memorable death bed scene followed by the blood geyser) This was the only legitimately creepy entry into the series, the later ones have Freddy getting sillier and sillier with his kills.


 6. Hellbound: Hellrasier II (1988) – I feel a bit robbed of my childhood as I was never forced to watch overly violent horror movies and then stay up sleepless nights. Even though I was a bit older before I saw this one, this was still a pretty twisted movie that I absolutely LOVED. Following the original which tells of a magic puzzle box that opens the gates of Hell, this time around, some demented psychologist (and apparently closet occultist) tries to figure out the secrets to the puzzle box. I love the creatures (Cenobites) that you see in Hellraiser movies. We even get to see a demon vs. demon battle in Hell!!! This movie HAD to make it on this list. 


5. Demons (1985) – Now, what can I say if you haven’t seen this movie before? Fucking go watch this shit!!! Demons is an awesome film directed by Lamberto Bava, son of legendary Italian horror director/cinematographer Mario Bava, and produced by Italian horror maestro Dario Argento. A group of strangers are invited to a movie theater for a special screening of a new movie. What they don’t realize as the movie plays is that the same things are happening in the theater and soon, the entire theatre is overrun by bloodthirsty demons. The sick beats in this movie coupled with kick ass special effects had me fall in love with this movie. When people were transforming into demons, we see fangs push out normal human teeth and sharp claws poke out through fingernails.


4. Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn (1986) – The uncrowned king of cult movies, the Evil Dead series directed by Sam Raimi (Spiderman) is everyone’s favorite little guilty pleasure. I’ve had countless conversations with random strangers regarding the Evil Dead series. The second installment of this series is apparently a remake of the first one. The story follows Ash and his party getting trapped in a cabin while being haunted by demons that were summoned using the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis. (The Book of the Dead) What follows is blood-soaked, ooze-filled comedy gold. With some genuinely creepy moments interlaced with slapstick humor, this cult comedy/horror has a very special place in my heart.


 3. Mr. Vampire (1985) – This is one that I felt conflicted on whether or not I should have it higher up on the list. One of my absolute favorites without a doubt, I’ve been watching this movie since I was a child. Defining its own sub-genre in Chinese horror, Lam Ching Ying (Prodigal Son, Magic Cop) plays a priest that uses Taoist magic and kung fu to fight vampires. Armed with yellow paper talisman, wooden swords, and a plethora of martial art skills to boot, this old-looking Taoist priest is ready to defend the innocent against the creatures of the night. After this movie, they tried to make many more like it. Eventually, the priest in yellow robe fighting hopping vampires became its own craze.


2. Day of the Dead (1985) – Undoubtedly, the finest quality special effects I’ve ever had the pleasure to witness… for a zombie movie no less!!!! Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a love/hate relationship with zombies, in that, I love to hate em!! Anyone else with a fetish for zombies can tell you that truly good zombie movie only comes along every once in a LONG while. This one is a landmark zombie movie, one that I had to give mad respect to because of the reputation behind this baby. Directed by George Romero (Creepshow, Martin) who basically redefined the term “zombie” from mindless Voodoo slave to flesh-eating undead corpse with his movie Night of the Living Dead, entering this third movie into his Dead films franchise. The unbelievably realistic gore effects were from legendary F/X artist Tom Savini, who apparently won his first Saturn award (sorta like the Oscar of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror awards) thanks to the work he did on this film. Some of the most realistic and gut-churning gore can be found on this bad boy.


1. Re-Animator (1985)– Last but not least, we arrive at my personal number one pick. Not because I think it’s terrifyingly scary or filled with the most violence I’ve ever witnessed. Re-Animator tops my list simply because I absolutely fucking LOVE this movie. I loved the music, I loved the special effects, and I love the Lovecraftian lore. (Plus, ever since I was a kid… it was always my dream to become a mad scientist when I grew up) This film, lensed by director Stuart Gordon (From Beyond, Castle Freak), was based on a story by H.P. Lovecraft entitled Herbert West-Reanimator. There’s Jeffrey Combs as the quirky scientist Herbert West, the total 80’s feel of this movie, and you even get to see the beautiful Barbara Crampton fully nude towards the end. (You even get to see a severed head between her legs, attempting to go muff diving as she’s strapped to a table)

Honorable mentions: Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Trick 'r Treat, Cabin Fever, The Uninvited

That's it for my list for my favorite horror movies, now... before anyone starts bitchin that a movie on my list isn’t really scary or if there was another movie that represented the genre better, this is just a list of my personal favorites that I would love to watch any time someone offers to put it on. If anyone would like to leave their Top 10 in the comments, I'd love to hear em.

2 comments:

  1. Apparently 1985 was a great year of movies for you. I'm glad you warmed up to Day of the Dead (1985).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very much so. I really hated that weird underground setting at first, but I gotta admit that those special effects are without some of the best I've ever seen. Ever.

    ReplyDelete